Calabrian Chili Oil
50 in stock
Originally brought to Spain by Christopher Columbus and most likely taken to southern Italy by the Spainards and Arabs. The soil and climate in the Calabria region in Italy was ideal for cultivating these firecracker chilis since the 16th century. Today they are a local staple and add color and heat to any dish. Our Calabrian Chilis are dried whole, dark red in color and the scoville heat ranges from 25,000 to 40,000. It has a beautiful aroma when simmering and can be used to kick up any dish. Drizzle some on your eggs, vegetables, pasta or dip your bread for an incredible flavor experience.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 60 mins – Simmer on low heat for 60 minutes.
1 bulb Garlic (3 cloves per recipe).
1 bottle Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 cup per recipe).
Although there is not much to control here but the quality of the olive oil you can use, you might have a hard time controlling your cravings for this oil. Use it sparingly or boldly on any of your dishes and for a luxurious kick.
- Prep – Destem Calabrian Chills and grind into flakes with seeds, crush 3 garlic cloves with skin on, measure 1 cup Olive Oil. Have salt handy.
- In a small pot add 1 cup Olive Oil, Calabrian Chili flakes, herb packet, and 3 crushed garlic cloves with skin on.
- Cook – Simmer on low heat for 1 hour. Oil will turn a vibrant red and garlic will be toasted but not burnt.
- Bring off heat and add salt to taste. Let cool completely.
- Once cooled, strain into a glass jar or non-reactive container.
- Optional – can leave herbs and chili in for extra flavor.
- Use it to spice up your favorite dishes. Enjoy!
- 8. Leave at room temperature and use within 2-3 months.
Servings: Makes 8 oz. of chili oil.
A fragrant heat is probably the best way to describe this chili oil.
- Use your choice of high quality Olive Oil.
Simple prep and let it simmer for 60 mins on low heat. Strain and jar.
- You can find the shelf life of the kit on the sticker on the bag. It will have the batch number and a best by date.
- Prepared Calabrian Chili Oil will last 2 – 3 months at room temperature.
- Absolutely none! And no red colored infused Olive Oil called Calabrian Chili Oil either. This is the real Calabrian Chili Oil.