Beef Pho or Soy Ginger Broth
84 in stock
Pronounced “fuh” is the national dish of Vietnam and Pho translates to noodles. A delicate bone broth seasoned with many spices and accompanied by rice noodles, meat and toppings. Usually with beef (phở bò) and sometimes with Chicken (phở gà). Pho is believed to have originated in North Vietnam after French colonization in the late 1800’s. Traditional Pho originated from the Nam Định region. Pho has subtle differences in noodle width, sweetness and choice of herbs from the northern and southern region. Now popularized around the world by refugees and immigrants. Our Pho is crafted for you to easily have a traditional experience at home. Make it with beef or keep it vegan by adding soy and ginger.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: Instant Pot – 45 minutes on soup setting
Cook Time: Slow Cooker – 5 hours on high
Cook Time: Stove Top – 4 hours
Cook Time: Instant Pot – 30 minutes on soup setting
Cook Time: Slow Cooker – 3 hours on high
Cook Time: Stove Top – 2 hours
2 large knobs of ginger – per recipe, 1 medium white onion – per recipe, 1 bunch green onions – per recipe.
Optional – fish sauce or soy sauce to taste.
4 servings of rice noodles or low carb noodles of choice.
2.5 – 3 lbs of beef bones.
Tofu and vegetables of choice.
Lime, bean sprouts, jalapeno, cilantro, sriracha, basil (thai or italian). Thinly sliced raw beef.
Enjoying authentic Pho has never been this easy. Make it beef or keep it vegan with a soy ginger broth. Use the full amount of salt or cut back, up to you. Go full authentic with rice noodles or use your favorite low carb noodle.
- Prep – wash and cut onion in half, wash and cut 1 ginger knob in half lengthwise, and wash and peel one knob of ginger and set aside for vegan broth. Cut the whites off of green onion and save the tops (green part) for garnish. Measure 10 cups of water for the stock pot or 9 cups for the instant pot or slow cooker.
- Cook – In a large stock pot add beef bones and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. This cleans the bones and makes for a clear broth. Drain and rinse bones. For vegans, omit this step.
- In a skillet over medium heat toast spices. Keep tossing for 2-3 minutes until fragrant but not burnt. Add to your cooking vessel.
- In the same skillet place onion cut side down, ginger cut side down, and char over high heat for about 8-10 minutes. Ginger will take longer than the onion. Place in cooking vessel.
- In your cooking vessel add the water, carrots, leeks, mushrooms and green onion stems.
- For beef pho – add the cooked and cleaned beef bones to your cooking vessel. Simer for 4 hrs on the stove top, 45 mins soup setting in the instant pot, and 5 hrs on high in the slow cooker.
- For vegan broth simmer for 2 hrs on the stove top, 30 mins on soup setting for instant pot, 3 hrs on high for slow cooker.
- When soup is done, strain into another pot. Here you can season how you like with soy sauce, fish sauce or salt. Save mushrooms for topping. For vegan broth grate in the 2nd knob of ginger and add ¼ cup of soy sauce.
- Now you are ready to enjoy your pho. In a bowl add your cooked rice noodles or low carb noodles of choice, pour over 2 cups of hot broth and your toppings of choice. For beef pho add in your thinly sliced beef. For the vegan broth add in sauteed tofu and vegetables of your choice.
Servings: Makes 4 16oz. Broth serving. Enjoy family style or meal prep for the week. Can freeze broth for up to 2 months.
This broth is balanced with subtle spices like cinnamon, cloves, juniper berries and coriander that are toasted and mixed with charred onion and ginger to create a flavorful broth but not spicy. It is also made with vegetable and fruit like apple or asian pear to add a sweet component. Our Pho kit includes dehydrated carrots that add the vegetal flavor and adds that sweetness it needs. Dehydrated carrots are highly concentrated and have elevated levels of sweetness. The spicy component is added by the sriracha and jalapenos added as the topping.
- Control sodium by adding what’s right for you.
- This Pho broth is designed to be vegan as well as for beef broth. For vegan Pho add plenty of sauteed tofu for protein.
- Control the carbs by using low carb noodles of choice or add plenty of vegetables for fiber.
For the easiest method we recommend an Instant Pot. 30 mins on soup setting and about 30 mins until you can open. As long as it can fit 9 cups of water plus ingredients you are good. Slow cooker is also an easy option. Just throw in all the ingredients and let it go. For easy straining you can even use a stock bag.
- You can find the shelf life of the kit on the sticker on the bag. It will have the batch number and a best by date.
- You will have 4 16oz. Servings or 8 8oz. Servings. You can portion and freeze for upto 6 weeks and 4-7 days in the refrigerator.
What preservatives do you use?